Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hasselback Yams and Sweet Potato


A couple of nights ago I was put up to the task of using up our yams and sweet potatoes by my mother. At first I was going to go the french fry route, but then decided that I didn't feel like standing over a hot frying pan of oil. I had been meaning to try out the "hasselback" technique for sometime, and decided that rather than use the traditional potato, I would use the yams and sweet potatoes instead.

The finished product received mixed reviews from the family. I tried to search for a cook time, but most hasselback recipes were for russet potatoes. As a result, I had to estimate the bake time and it ended up giving me two different outcomes. The yams had become soft, almost mushy, making me wish I had taken them out sooner. The sweet potatoes, on the other hand, were crunchy on the top but still a little too hard on the bottom, making me wonder whether I should have kept them in longer. Overall, the recipe needs a little work, and maybe I'll try it out with actual potatoes next time. Still, I used up the yams and sweet potatoes and everyone in the family enjoyed eating them in a new way.

Hasselback Yams and Sweet Potato
  • Yams and Sweet Potatoes
  • Garlic, peeled and sliced thinly (very, very thinly)
  • Butter
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  1. Wash the yams and sweet potatoes. Starting a 1/2" from the end, cut slits about 3-4 mm wide 3/4 of the way down. I saw a helpful tip that if you put chopsticks on either side of the yam or potato, it stops your knife from being able to cut all the way through.
  2. Insert the garlic slices in between some of the slits. I spaced mine out so that the garlic was between every 2-3 slits.
  3. Insert some butter shavings in between some of the slits. I also spread butter on the top as well just to give it some extra moisture.
  4. Sprinkle some salt and pepper over the tops of the yams and sweet potatoes.
  5. Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. I baked them for 40 minutes but I would suggest maybe only 30 for the yams and a full hour for the sweet potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment