Monday, October 11, 2010

Lemon Cheesecake


Although I made this cheesecake a week ago for my uncle's birthday, I have been so busy since then that I haven't had time to sit down and blog about it. Unfortunately I have been saddled with studying for midterms, and cannot wait until they are over and I can get back to trying new recipes.

This cheesecake was a combination of something old, something new, something borrowed...but no blue. I used one of my favorite cheesecake recipes and paired it with a lemon curd topping. The recipe for the cheesecake represents the something old and borrowed, since I got it a long time ago from Tyler Florence of Food Network. The lemon curd brings in the something new because I learned how to make it in my pastry class and decided to try it out on this cake. Normally the lemon curd is meant to be used as a filling, either for pies such as lemon meringue or in between a layered cake. I decided that I would simply top my cheesecake with it so that it would give an extra lemony flavor.

I must admit I was pretty busy the day that I prepared the cheesecake, and rushed through the process. As a result, my cheesecake ended up with a crack on top running almost all the way across one side. Luckily, I was able to use the lemon curd and fill in the crack as well as spread it over the surface of the cake. That's the great thing about cheesecakes...even if its cracked you can always cover it up and the cake itself almost always tastes great inside, despite any outside bumps or bruises. Taste-wise, the curd gave it a nice lemon flavor without being too overpowering for the cake itself. In the end, I was pleased with the cheesecake and everyone else enjoyed it as well...with none the wiser about the crack.

Lemon Cheesecake

For the lemon curd:
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 7 1/2 tbsp icing sugar (it works out to be slightly less than 1/2 cup)
  • 2 lemons
  • 3 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
  1. Bring the lemon juice to boil in a small pot and remove from heat.
  2. In a separate, heat-proof bowl, whisk the icing sugar into the egg yolks.
  3. Whisk the hot lemon juice into the sugar egg yolk mixture.
  4. Place the bowl over a pot of gently boiling water and continuously whisk until the mixture becomes thick.
  5. Remove the mixture from the heat and whisk in the butter a little bit at a time.
  6. Pour into a container, cover, and cool in the refrigerator.
For the crust:
  • 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup (8 tbsp) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and then transfer to a 9" springform pan. Gently press down all along the bottom and sides and then bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.

For the cheesecake:
  • 1 1/2 lbs (3 blocks) cream cheese, room temperature
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups sour cream
  • 1 lemon, zested
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  1. Beat the cream cheese on low speed for about one minute and then beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well incorporated.
  1. Slowly beat in the sugar, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
  2. Beat in the sour cream, lemon zest, and vanilla and continue until well combined.
  3. Pour the mixture into the cooled springform pan and bake for 55 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit using a hot water bath or by placing a pan of hot water on the lowest rack beneath the cake.
  4. Without opening the oven door, turn off the oven and leave the cake to cool for 1 1/2 hours inside the oven. Afterward, remove from the oven and cool to room temperature before refrigerating for at least 4 hours, though preferably overnight.
  5. Once completely cooled and refrigerated, spread the lemon curd evenly over the top of the cake. You can garnish it with some lemon slices to add a nice touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment