Sunday, June 19, 2011

Petite Lasagnas


After coming upon this recipe a week ago I knew right away that I wanted to try making it and based on the results I am so pleased that I did. My mom had actually approached me last weekend with the idea that I should make a lasagna, a pretty classic dish but something I had never tried before. I agreed to do so and made a mental note to look up some recipes. Then, as I was sitting on the computer one day doing my daily browsing of tastespotting.com I noticed this recipe for "petite lasagnas". Right away I clicked on it and as I read through it I was hooked.

This recipe appealed to me for several reasons, above all the fact that it makes individually sized portions which I am a huge fan of. Also it seemed to be relatively easy and not time consuming. Although the layering process did take me some time I knew that this would hold true of any lasagna. However because all of the ingredients are already cooked through and the wonton wrappers are so thin, the petite lasagnas only have to bake for ten minutes.

Originally my plan was to double the recipe and make twenty four petite lasagnas but once I saw how much meat my mom had defrosted I knew that I would have extra. Luckily, after trying the lasagna, my dad liked it so much that he asked if I wouldn't mind using the leftover meat to prepare some lasagnas for my parents to take with them to a potluck dinner that evening. I was so honored that he asked me to do this and I of course agreed. When they came home later that night they told me that the lasagnas were a big hit and my mom admitted that this recipe will probably become a new staple in our family. To me, that spells success!

Petite Lasagnas
Note: This recipe makes 12 individually sized lasagnas using a standard muffin pan.
  • 24 wonton wrappers
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 28 oz. can plum tomatoes, crushed
  • 4 tsp oregano, divided
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste 
  1. In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium-high until hot. Add the ground beef and cook for 6-8 minutes or until no pink is visible.
  2. Drain the beef and set aside then, using the same skillet, heat the oil once again and add the onions.
  3. Cook over medium heat until the onions are translucent, about 3-5 minutes, then add the mushrooms and cook until they turn brown, another 5 minutes or so.
  4. Return the beef to the skillet and mix in thoroughly with the onions and mushrooms. Stir in the garlic as well.
  5. Add the tomatoes and 3 tsp of oregano, as well as salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Afterward remove from the heat and allow it to cool.
  6. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl combine the ricotta cheese with 1 tsp of oregano and the basil.
  7. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and place one wonton wrapper in each cup, making sure to press firmly on the bottom and along the sides. 
  8. Using half of the ricotta cheese mixture, divide it evenly amongst the 12 cups and spread along the bottom of each.
  9. Divide half of the meat mixture amongst the cups as well and then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
  10. Gently place another wonton wrapper on top of the mozzarella layer in the opposite direction of the first wrapper. Repeat the layering process.
  11. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes, or until the cheese on top starts to bubble and the corners of the wonton wrappers become golden.
  12. Let the lasagnas cool in the pan for 5 minutes before carefully spooning them out and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment