Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies


It's that time of the year again which means that my holiday baking is in full swing! Every year I try to make some festive treats for friends and family and give them out to celebrate the holidays. Personally, I love this time of year because I love the cheerfulness; I love all of the decorations and the nice songs and the overall tone of the holidays. I know that not everyone can be together with their loved ones but I am grateful that so far I have been lucky enough to have my family surround me every year.

This year I included chocolate truffles and my grandmother's berry crumb bars, also known as "rombiki" in my family, as well as these new chocolate cookies. I had seen many versions of this cookie on tastespotting.com under names such as "chocolate crinkle" or "chocolate crackle" or "chocolate snowball" cookies and I really liked the way they looked. My cookies didn't turn out as white because I don't think I rolled them in enough powdered sugar, but the taste was great regardless.

I actually didn't have a chance to save any for our own household but luckily went I went to my grandmother's a couple of nights later she still had some left so she gave one each to my brother and me. My cousin had previously told me that they kind of reminded her of Timbits, a little doughnut hole treat that is popular here in Canada at the coffee chain Tim Horton's. Although not fluffy like a doughnut, the flavor is definitely reminiscent of the frosted chocolate Timbit. Despite the fact that these cookies seem to be popular during the holidays, I think that I will make them again sometime soon so that I can have more than just the one and the rest of the household can try them too.

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Note: This recipe makes about three dozen cookies.
  • 6 oz (180 grams) semisweet chocolate
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup powdered sugar
  1. Using a double broiler, melt the chocolate and set aside to cool.
  2. Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
  3. In a large bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
  4. Beat in the eggs, then the chocolate.
  5. Reduce the speed to low and mix in the flour mixture.
  6. Once the dough comes together,transfer to the refrigerator and chill for at least 30 minutes, or until it becomes firm enough to handle.
  7. Pour the powdered sugar into a shallow bowl. Roll dough into 2" sized balls then roll very generously in the powdered sugar. Make sure you have a thick coating. Note: The dough will start to melt in your hands; use gloves for easier handling.
  8. Place the cookies on a greased or parchment-lined baking tray spaced about 2" apart. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes, until the tops are cracked and the centers are almost set. Cool for three minutes on the baking tray before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely

1 comment: