Saturday, January 12, 2013

Creamy Roasted Cauliflower and Leek Soup

 
I haven't made any new soups for a long time and I suddenly got the urge to do so last week. Winter time tends to make people crave warm and comforting flavors and I thought to tap into one of my favorite techniques, roasting vegetables, and incorporate it in a soup. I knew that cauliflower would taste soft and sweet after a simple roast in the oven and I thought it would pair well with leeks.

Originally my plan had been to season the soup with oregano and thyme but then my dad convinced me to use cumin, coriander, chili powder, and turmeric. I wish I had stuck to my first instincts because, although delicious, the delicate flavor of the cauliflower was lost to the overpowering spices. Ironically enough, he didn't actually try the soup because by the time he got around to it the rest of the family had eaten it up.

Interestingly, the soup inspired a conversation amongst my family members about creamy vs. chunky soups. My mom, though a lover of many of my pureed soups such as roasted tomato and pepper and red lentil tomato and coconut, prefers chunkier soups. She claims she likes to have pieces that she can see and combine on her soup for the perfect bite. My aunt, on the other hand, said she adores creamy soups and was intrigued by my latest creation. Personally, I think that I too like my soups on the chunky side but occasionally I enjoy eating a perfectly smooth soup as well. Next time I will try making the soup based on my initial plan with the oregano and thyme and leave it chunky. Still, I can't deny I enjoyed this soup as well and will probably repeat it sometime in the future.

Roasted Cauliflower and Leek Soup
  • 2 leeks (white parts only), chopped
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 head cauliflower, florets cut into bite size pieces
  • 3-4 cloves garlic
  • 1½ tsp cumin
  • 1½ tsp coriander
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • Optional: ¼-½ tsp chili pepper flakes
  • 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • ½ cup sour cream
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Toss the cauliflower pieces and garlic cloves with some olive oil and salt and pepper. Arrange in a flat layer on a baking tray and roast in the oven for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Stir about halfway through to ensure even baking and keep in the oven until the cauliflower starts to soften and becomes golden. 
  2. While the cauliflower is roast9ng, saute the leeks in a large pot over medium heat with some olive oil until they start to become translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
  3. Add the chopped carrot and celery to the pot and continue to saute until the vegetables soften, another 3-5 minutes.
  4. Add the cumin, coriander, chili powder, turmeric, and chili pepper flakes (if using) to the pot and mix through. 
  5. Once the cauliflower and garlic has finished roasting add it to the pot and mix to incorporate.
  6. Pour the stock into the pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer the soup, covered, for 10 minutes or until the cauliflower starts to easily break down. Stir occasionally.
  7. Stir in the sour cream then using a hand blender or by transferring the soup in batches, puree the soup and return to the pot. Season to taste with the lemon juice, salt, and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment