Thursday, March 28, 2013

Mexican Beef Lettuce Wraps




I made this dish for dinner a couple of nights ago for several different reasons. Firstly, my mom and I had decided to make moussaka, something we hadn’t done in a very long time, and had some leftover ground beef. Also, we had a whole bunch of mushrooms that needed to be used up somehow so I needed to make something that would incorporate them. Most importantly though, I needed to make something that I could post in order to meet my personal monthly quota that I set for myself when I first started the blog. 

Originally I was going to make beef lettuce wraps in an Asian style, as I had done previously, but since I needed a new recipe I decided to create a Mexican version. I made up the recipe completely on the fly and used flavors and spices that I thought would give the dish a Mexican feel. I paired the beef with a corn, pepper, and bean salad somewhat adapted from my Southwest quinoa salad just without the quinoa.

To my surprise the dish was met with much more enthusiasm than I expected, considering how randomly I threw it together. I couldn’t find the right type of lettuce at the grocery store so we actually ended up using cabbage leaves as the wrapping vessel. My mother actually pointed out that the dish was Passover friendly because it didn’t use a flour tortilla for the wrapping, something I hadn’t even considered while making it. 

In the end I was quite pleased with myself as I saw how much everyone enjoyed dinner that night. I think that it was so successful because it truly had a Mexican flavor to it, something I achieved by using a couple of tablespoons of Chipotle sauce. It’s extremely spicy, so I wouldn’t recommend using too much, but just a little bit goes a long way and can really bring that familiar Mexican taste to any dish. 

Mexican Beef Lettuce Wraps

Note: For the accompanying salad follow, double the quantities of the ingredients from the southwest quinoa salad but omit the quinoa. 
  1.  Heat some olive oil over high heat in a large skillet and add the ground beef. Cook until no pink is visible then drain the beef and set aside. 
  2. Using the same pan, heat some new olive oil and sauté the chopped onions over medium heat until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. 
  3. Add the garlic and cook for another minute, until fragrant. 
  4. Add the chopped mushrooms to the pan and mix well to incorporate. Continue to cook until the mushrooms soften and brown.
  5. Return the cooked beef to the pan and mix into the mushrooms and onions. Add the ground cumin, coriander, chipotle sauce, and salsa and mix well throughout.
  6. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and add some extra chipotle sauce or salsa if desired.
  7. Serve alongside the corn, pepper, and bean salad as well as any lettuce that can act as a cup for filling, such as bibb or butter lettuce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment